3d PENS – A NEW ADDITION TO YOUR TOOLBOX
Demo by Sue Fishbein for FRCQ – July 17, 2017
The 3d pen is a convenient hand-held device that allows the user to draw in 3d with heated filament that cools almost instantly to a solid structure. It uses the same filament used in 3d printers. I hope this demonstration will open new ideas in design for you in your art quilts and other creations.
Once 3d designs are created they can be used in art quilts or other fiber art. To name just a few applications, consider: Discharging with bleach or using other resists; using as a stencil; using with thickened dye; screen printing and using to add a three-dimensional design.
Useful tools and supplies:
- Glue stick
- Assorted filaments
- Mylar, sheet of clear glass or heat resistant film.
Inspiration – tutorials and other resources:
- YouTube – search “3d Pen Textiles” or “3d Pen Fashion”.
- Dover Publications for designs; adult coloring books for design ideas.
- Google or Yahoo Images: Search “line art” such as “trees line art”.
- Jumpstartmag.com: Search “The 3Doodler Story” for a brief history of the 3d pen and the story of its invention.
- AMX3d.com for3d pen; 3d Pen Toolbox; filament assortment.
- The3dDoodler.com for 3dDoodler pen and filament (its filament is proprietary and not inter-changeable).
- Amazon.com for 3d Pen, filament and Dura-Lar.
- Dura-Lar, a heat resistant clear film to place on top of design to protect design; available at Amazon.com and/or Michaels.com.
Join FRCQ Today!
Please join this fun, lively artistic group of 150+ members. Our monthly meetings feature international, national or local speakers. Only members are eligible to participate in our dynamic workshops and excellent juried exhibitions. Membership dues are $35 a year and membership runs for 12 months. Dues are $25 a year for Student Members, available for those enrolled in a course of study. Membership in FRCQ includes all meetings, a high-quality monthly online newsletter, and eligibility to register for workshops. Visitors are welcome to the monthly meetings for a $10.00 fee.
To register/join, CLICK HERE.
To learn more about becoming a member, CONTACT US.
(If you would prefer to mail a membership form with a check: FRCQ Membership Form)
FRCQ Social Media
Dates: Every third Monday, January through November.
Location: All meetings are available on-line via Zoom with the link included in our monthly newsletter. Two to Four times per year, we hold in-person meetings. The location may vary, so please refer to the MEETINGS page on our website for information as to which meetings are in person and where they will be held.
Time: On-Line meetings run from 7:00-9:00 pm. In-person meetings have social time which starts at 6:30 pm and the meeting from 7:00-9:00 pm.