Portfolio 2022 – Best of 2021 is a web-based exhibit open to members of Front Range Contemporary Quilters. The art accepted into this show will be the home page feature for the FRCQ website that displays the best work completed by our members in 2021. There will be no catalog published.
The “Portfolio” serves multiple purposes. It’s an opportunity for FRCQ members to exhibit their work. It gives us a chance to see what you’re most proud of creating from the current year. The exhibits committee uses “Portfolio” as a way of soliciting and attracting other exhibition opportunities. This is an on-line juried exhibit.
The juror’s goal will be to select the best possible group of entries that collectively showcase the diversity of work being made in our region within the art quilt medium.
- Entry Opens: November 20, 2021
- Due date for entry: December 31, 2021
- Notification of selected work: January 20, 2022
- Exhibit Posted Online: January 31, 2022
Juror: Karen Schulz
Karen’s artist statement: My work is first and foremost a careful consideration of formal design elements. I am drawn to the tension created by the simultaneous holding of opposites. Circles and squares, stasis and movement, light and dark, the flat plane and three dimensional space, and most recently the hand drawn line and the sewn seam line; each is needed to highlight the other. It is through a disciplined use of design elements that I find joy in creating compositions that take the breath away, riveting the viewer to a point of perception where time and place fade away. My effort is to transform the ordinary into the extraordinary.
- To be eligible you must renew or join FRCQ prior to submission of your entry. Membership is a separate fee from the exhibit entry fee. If you have not already renewed your membership (or joined) for 2021 you may renew via PayPal on the FRCQ website (https://www.artquilters.org/contact-us-join-frcq/).
- Entries must meet this definition for art quilt: “The art quilt is a creative visual work that is layered and stitched or that references this form of stitched layered structure.” (Studio Art Quilt Associates, Inc)
- Single, diptych, triptych, or other multiple-piece works, framed, mounted and three dimensional or wearable works may be submitted. Diptychs, triptychs and other multiple-piece works must be submitted as one entry.
- The work must be original and the result of independent (solo or collaborative) effort. If work is the result of a collaboration (including the production, design or quilting process) it must be noted in your description and collaborators listed. Art that was begun, worked on or resulted from a workshop and that is in the style of the workshop teacher is not considered original and thus is not eligible for this exhibit.
- All work must have been completed during the 2021 calendar year.
- Work submitted may have been displayed in previous exhibits and need not be in your possession, since this is a web-based exhibit.
- All communication for this exhibit is by e-mail, including notification of acceptance.
- Artwork will not be sold by FRCQ as part of this exhibit.
Images will be chosen on the basis of artistic merit as well as photo quality. To improve your chances of being selected, send only your best photos and use the same considerations you would for entering other juried shows. Jurors select the work through images submitted online. They don’t see the actual artwork. This is why it is vital to send the best possible images, ideally professionally taken. If you are planning on taking the pictures yourself, do the research to find out how to take great pictures. To ensure the process is fair, remember to remove any signatures or watermarks from your submitted images.
You may wish to consider using a professional photographer.
- Photos of entries will be submitted online. Since this is a web-based exhibit, the quality of the image is critical. Images that are not adequate for display on the website will be disqualified in the jury process. Images must be in sharp focus.
- The full image should be on a neutral background with all outside edges of the art quilt visible. DO NOT CROP INTO THE EDGES OF THE ART.
- All entries should have two images: one overall image and one detail. Images should be labeled per instructions below.
- File format: JPEG or JPG only.
- Size your images as follows: 300 dpi, 2100 pixels on long side, and under 2 MB. Tips for sizing images are on the web site under Exhibits, useful information.
How to Enter
- There is a nonrefundable entry fee of $33.00. Pay this fee through the web site.
- Each member may enter up to three art quilts, with two images of each.
- Please name your artwork images as follows:
- For overall image: Title, dimensions
- For detail image: Title, detail
- Artwork must have been created in 2021.
- Please write a short description of your pieces. Describe materials and techniques. Note anyone who collaborated on the artwork.
- Please write a short artist’s statement to introduce your art quilt to the juror. It can tell the juror where the idea for the art came from, how you developed it, and why you chose to make this artwork.
- Write a short description and artist statement for each piece that you enter. Do not include your name.
Send your images, descriptions, and statements to email@example.com
Your entry application will not be considered complete until your payment is received. Paypal button for payment will be inserted and become active below as of November 20, 2021. The paypal button for payment will also be available on the exhibits page of the FRCQ website.
If you have questions contact Joan Sowada firstname.lastname@example.org
Join FRCQ Today!
Please join this fun, lively artistic group of 150+ members. Our monthly meetings feature international, national or local speakers. Only members are eligible to participate in our dynamic workshops and excellent juried exhibitions. Membership dues are $35 a year and membership runs for 12 months. Dues are $25 a year for Student Members, available for those enrolled in a course of study. Membership in FRCQ includes all meetings, a high-quality monthly online newsletter, and eligibility to register for workshops. Visitors are welcome to the monthly meetings for a $10.00 fee.
To register/join, CLICK HERE.
To learn more about becoming a member, CONTACT US.
(If you would prefer to mail a membership form with a check: FRCQ Membership Form)
FRCQ Social Media
Dates: Every third Monday, January through November.
Location: All meetings are available on-line via Zoom with the link included in our monthly newsletter. Two to Four times per year, we hold in-person meetings. The location may vary, so please refer to the MEETINGS page on our website for information as to which meetings are in person and where they will be held.
Time: On-Line meetings run from 7:00-9:00 pm. In-person meetings have social time which starts at 6:30 pm and the meeting from 7:00-9:00 pm.