“Fabric and Form: Vessels” Workshop
September 17 and 18, 2022 (Saturday and Sunday)
Workshop Description: Old and new, familiar and innovative, building on the past and exploring the unknown – these are the successful themes that form the approach of our workshop. In
this workshop we put old, familiar skills to use in creating new and unique art forms. We will learn about using fabric to make vessels or “textile sculptures”, then design and construct our own
new vessels using a simple, systematic process that allows for a great range of invention. 2 days, max class size 20.
Outline: Class members will design and create a 3 dimensional vessel or form, using my step-by-step process.
- Introduction to 3 D fabric structures, examples and inspirations, discussion of 3 D design elements, symmetry/asymmetry, opportunities and limitations presented by fabric medium.
- Design work: sketching the form, creating a template on paper, planning the construction sequence.
- Constructing the panels, embellishment and “polishing the pieces”.
- Assembling the form, putting the pieces together, wiring technique.
- Finishing touches: Creating the base, labeling, final embellishment.
- “Accessorizing”: storage/carrying box, photography tips.
For more information visit https://www.artquilters.org/mary-mccauley/