April 16, 17, and 18 (Friday – Sunday) 2021
Presentation at FRCQ: Monday, April 19, 2021
Instructor Bio for Pat Pauly:
With a passion for sharing her work and methods of making art, Pat Pauly teaches fast paced, energizing, and fun workshops. A sought-after contemporary fiber arts lecturer and teacher , Pat Pauly demonstrates her wealth of knowledge from decades of working in design. Her work, recognized nationally and internationally, evokes natural forms that are bold and graphic. Since 1983, her art quilts have been featured in numerous publications and exhibitions. With workshops that focus on design and technique, she helps students understand when to apply the rules, and when to toss them out. Pat Pauly’s studio is in Rochester, New York.
We will start with a handful of ways to begin abstracted work using small-scale sketches, and move into learning the ins and outs of improvisational piecing. From exercises in composition, to sewn collages, to scaling up, the fun of working without a pattern or “designing from thin air” begins. We will dive into improvisational composing with a goal of producing a large piece with strong visual elements. This class provides a great foundation in design as well as a great way to sharpen improvisation and abstract skills.
This three day class was built for Front Range Contemporary Quilters.
About the Workshop:
Workshop with Pat Pauly
Questions? Email email@example.com
Start with a handful of ways to begin abstracted work through small scale sketches, then learn the ins and outs of improvisational piecing. From exercises in composition, to sewn collages, to scaling up, the fun of working without a pattern or “designing from thin air” just begins. We’ll dive into composing a large piece improvisationaly, and end with a strong visual work to finish large. This class provides a great foundation in design as well as a great way to sharpen skills in creating abstractly! This is a three day class built specifically far the Front Range Quilters.
Materials fee: $7
- Sewing machine – if you have a “light weight” machine, that is fine, with simple foot (not one with¼” guide) and the usual sewing supplies
- Paper scissors, fabric scissors
- Large cutting mat, medium to large rotary cutter Note book and pen, pencil
- Sharpie markers: one black, one red,
- Straight edge ruler (see through used for piecing) optional 12 ½”
- Old calendar (we will use the photos) of photographic images (no cartoons or graphics)
- Three printed photos (of yours, or you have the right to use) printed on regular paper or photo paper in a size between 4 x 6 and 8 x 10
- 4 transparent page protectors (like you use in a three-ring binder)
- 6 blank pages of copy paper, 3 sheets tracing paper 8 ½ x 11 or similar size
- ¼ Yard of white or plain light fabric
- ¼ yard of black or very dark fabric
- Bring 1 one-gallon size plastic bag of fabric scraps of light, medium and dark. No pieces smaller than 3″ x 3″
- 5 to 10 fat quarters, or pieces that are about that size.
- Ten 1 -1 ½ yard cuts of fabric NO LARGER (we will only pick 2) with good contrast to each other. They should “play well together” but still be different enough from each other to contrast. Choose from commercial or hand-made fabric, keeping an eye out for large scale graphic, fabrics that change color or design across the piece, or bold and changing patterns. For ideas (not to purchase the exact suggestions!) take a look on line at my Pinterest board called “Take Two Fabric Suggestions” under my name Pat Pauly. Here is the link: https://www.pinterest.com/patpauly/
Registration: Will open in early spring 2021. (Remember you must be a member of FRCQ to participate in this workshop.) Join FRCQ here
Join FRCQ Today!
Please join this fun, lively artistic group of 250+ members. Our monthly meetings feature international, national or local speakers. Only members are eligible to participate in our dynamic workshops and excellent juried exhibitions. Membership dues are $35 a year and membership runs per calendar year. Membership in FRCQ includes all meetings, a high-quality monthly online newsletter, and eligibility to register for workshops. Visitors are welcome to the monthly meetings for a $10.00 fee.
To learn more about becoming a member, CONTACT US..
(If you would prefer to mail a membership form with a check: FRCQ Membership Form)
Dates: Every third Monday, January through November.
Location: Westminster Recreation Center, 10455 Sheridan Blvd, Westminster, CO
Time: Social time starts at 6:30. The meeting is from 7-9.